Saturday, January 1, 2011

Laundr-o-mat

In my sheltered and spoiled life. I have never been to a laundr-o-mat. I have always had my own washer and dryer right down the hall, stairs, etc. Until last night.
It was a strange experience.
First of all I feel I need to explain
Addi's comforter will not fit in the front-loader washer. we tried. didn't work.
SO we loaded up said wet,soggy, throw up covered comforter and headed up to the nearest laundromat. Its about a mile from my home.
Leaving my home with detergent in hand and a half empty bottle of Clorox felt surreal.
Entering the business i was confused. "what do i do now?" and there is no-one there. aside from the kid who was maybe 16, the place was vacant. how does this place stay in business, i wondered.
So i found a large washer- which was really a dryer- Heath and i look at each other and say "is this a washer or dryer" you think it would be easy to tell but, i say it is not.
Take the soggy, heavy, throw-up covered comforter out of the dryer (not washer) and try again.
Finally found a large washer- with no help but out own intelligence. Load the yucky thing in again and "what now." At home we push a button. The washer asks us what water temp, and it is smart enough to know when and what to add to the load of clothes. it a smart washer
This Laundromat washer was not smart. i didn't feel smart either.
after deciphering the code of symbols on the washer and dumping detergent and bleach in the correct spots ( well i think it was the correct spots) We were on our way.
Well then we had to do simple math to figure out how many quarters are needed.
$5 dollars. $5 to do one load of comforter. Rip Off
But the comforter is clean-for today.
How did you spend your New Years

1 comment:

MommyMert said...

Day #1 and you blogged! Hooray for your goal. :) Boo to the vomit... gotta love doing laundry at the laundro-mat. Tim and I did that for 3 years. One bonus is they are all done at once, gotta love the Ghett-O people there though. We always had quarters. :) Sometimes when I have LOADS of laundry, I think about loading it all up.